I won’t take credit for this amazing vegan Irish vegetable stew recipe because it was my mum’s creation. It is such a good hearty and warming vegan recipe though that I have to share it with you! It’s so simple and straightforward too so no stress.
This is basically the same recipe my Mum used to use for her typical Irish mutton stews, but, obviously things in our household have changed! Instead of the sheep flesh we now just add more vegetables!
Top tip: try adding buckwheat or barley to make this even heartier and healthier.
FRESH LOCAL ORGANIC VEGETABLES
All of the veg that I used in this stew I got from a local farm (Ballyholey Farm Shop) and they were likely plucked from the ground that very morning. I would recommend everyone to try and find a good local vegetable supplier because the closer it’s grown to home the better tasting it is! Especially if they grow them organically too.
You really notice a difference in flavour, especially with the onions. These onions are so sweet and full of flavour. A thousand times better than the old ones sitting in the supermarkets.
What you need:
1 turnip (or swede if you’re from outside of Ireland))
2 large onions (or 4 small ones…)
4 celery stalks
2 large carrots (or 4 small ones…)
500ml veg stock made with 2 vegetable stock cubes
1 tbsp soya butter
1 tbsp Herbes de Provence
1 tbsp white flour
Salt (optional) and black pepper
Mashed potatoes for serving
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour (approx)
- Wash and peel all the veg and cut them into large chunks at an angle.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan and add the chopped onions once melted.
- Cook the onions until they soften and are coated in the butter. Around 4 minutes maybe.
- Add the herbs then and stir to coat the onions in the herbs.
- Then add the flour and stir to make sure this mixture doesn’t stick to the pan. Let the flour and the herbs cook with the onions for a few minutes so the butter absorbs the flavour.
- Then add the stock very slowly. Add in just a little bit at a time stirring all the time. This will form a kind of gravy-like liquid.
- Then add in the rest of the vegetables and if you think the mixture needs more liquid just add in a bit more boiling water.
- Add some black pepper and salt if you think it needs it (i didn’t use salt)
- Put a lid on then and let it simmer on a low heat for around an hour or until the veg are cooked.
- Serve with spuds (potatoes) done any way you like. I love mashed potatoes!
This Irish vegan vegetable stew is so easy to make, and, it’s hearty and warming, perfect for rainy autumn and winter evenings (or Irish evenings all year round…). There is nothing in this that will cause you any harm, no meat, dairy, eggs, or excessive oil or processed ingredients. So eat as much as you want.
Tag me on Instagram if you make this dish @green_leafy_gael – I want to see your creations!
Go n-éirí libh!